“Cult typically refers to a cohesive social group devoted to beliefs or practices that the surrounding population considers to be outside the mainstream, with a notably positive or negative popular perception.
A group’s cult status begins as rumors spread of its novel belief system, its great devotions, its idiosyncratic practices, its perceived harmful or beneficial effects on members or its perceived opposition to the interests of mainstream cultures and governments. Persistent rumors may follow relatively small and recently founded religious or non-religious (author’s italics)groups when they are perceived to engage in excessive member control or exploitation.”
Pseudo presidential seal campaign logo
the columns implied to remind of the Lincoln Memorial or the ancient temples of Greece and Rome, MLK or Athena or Zeus, unification as a country by Lincoln or MLK, OR consent to the authority of Athena or Zeus.
women will not be able to have a legal abortion if you don’t vote for me
poor people of color or African Americans living in Rezko’s Illinois’ partial taxpayer funded slums live with rats and non functioning infrastructure
women can magically make equal pay, just like your lawyer wife, who by virtue of being a lawyer would have known the time limit to file a complaint
publicly traded for profit insurance companies will magically bend to your will and agree to cover pre- existing conditions- and not be sure of the reserves they must have to stay in business
hope by millions that by you being president, all in Washington will be changed (despite your lack of coalitions and relationships, based upon experience, with the congresspeople and government employees whose skill will make and implement policy
make people think, hope, you are against excessive money and influence in politics then break your promise to go with public election funding, and use the previous to try to win the election
if voters don’t go with you, they will have 4 more years of Bush, eerily similar to If you’re not for me you’re against me, implying McCain = Bush = bad
an organization you financially support through your political action organizations (amended FEC) filing pays some people to get a fix to file voter registrations, regardless of accuracy, and pays some to actively in partisan and illegal ways encourage the registrant to vote for you, gives these people the hope that their lives will change.
Studies of the psychological aspects of cults focus on the individual person, and factors relating to the choice to become involved as well as the subsequent effects on individuals. Under one view, an important factor is coercive persuasion which suppresses the ability of people to reason, think critically, and make choices in their own best interest.
Studies of religious, political (author’s italics), and other cults have identified a number of key steps in this type of coercive persuasion:
- People are put in physically or emotionally distressing situations;
- Their problems are reduced to one simple explanation, which is repeatedly emphasized;
- They receive unconditional love, acceptance, and attention from a charismatic leader;
- They get a new identity based on the group;
- They are subject to entrapment (isolation from friends, relatives, and the mainstream culture) and their access to information is severely controlled.”
“Definition according to secular opposition
…Michael Langone states that “Cults are groups that often exploit members psychologically and/or financially, typically by making members comply with leadership’s demands through certain types of psychological manipulation, popularly called mind control, and through the inculcation of deep-seated anxious dependency on the group and its leaders.”
A similar definition is given by Louis Jolyon West:
- “A cult is a group or movement exhibiting a great or excessive devotion or dedication to some person, idea or thing and employing unethically manipulative techniques of persuasion and control (e.g. isolation from former friends and family, debilitation, use of special methods to heighten suggestibility and subservience, powerful group pressures, information management, suspension of individuality or critical judgment, promotion of total dependency on the group and fear of [consequences of] leaving it, etc) designed to advance the goals of the group’s leaders to the actual or possible detriment of members, their families, or the community.” 
In each, the focus tends to be on the specific tactics of conversion, the negative impact on individual members, and the difficulty in leaving once indoctrination has occurred.
Any of this look, sound, familiar to the organization of the Obama campaign, supported by the Howard Dean led DNC?
Do you want to be a part of this?
You get what you vote for.